Kinship Navigator Specialist
The Foster & Adoptive Care Coalition, an agency that strives to create permanency in every foster child’s life by recruiting and supporting foster and adoptive families, is searching for a person passionate in advocating for and supporting relative foster care placements. Our Kinship Navigator program provides training, assessment, and support to prospective and current relative foster care providers. This position assists relative foster and adoptive parents in navigating the child welfare system. Advocating for the application of child welfare law and policy as it relates to individual cases is one of the primary focus of the position. Additionally, this position recognizes the unique experiences relative caregivers who foster or have adopted encounter and seeks to provide an empathetic and confidential outlet for them. Assistance will be given in-home, in the community, and over the phone. This position will also be responsible for completing relative foster care home studies.
The Coalition hires individuals:
- Passionate about serving foster/adopted youth and families
- Confident enough to work independently, while knowing when to reach out for help
- With the highest level of integrity and flexibility when working both in the office and in the field
- Collaborate with internal and external partners face-to-face in the office and in the community
- Knowledge of and ability to educate families about the unique issues surrounding foster care, adoption and guardianship, child development, loss, grief, attachment, and trauma
- Follow up with families via phone and/or email to find out if they have additional questions or if they are in need of any additional support through the licensing process
- Complete thorough and professional documentation
- Conduct pre-service and in-service training
- Complete home assessments utilizing the SAFE model
- Maintain at least once weekly communication with each family in the training cohort, either through phone call or email to provide additional training resources and support
- Maintain regular and predictable on-site attendance
- Hold a degree in social services or related field
- Have completed STARS and SAFE training (if not SAFE trained must be willing to complete required training)
- Maintain a flexible work schedule to meet the needs of youth and families—early morning, late afternoon, evening and weekend meetings are required
- Demonstrate a strong knowledge of licensing law and policy and how to use it to advocate for individual families
- Minimum of 2 years working in or with foster care licensing
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing to support movement toward initial placement and on-going stabilization
- Exhibit an excellent knowledge of community services that support foster/adopt families
- Demonstrated experience working with child welfare teams utilizing innovative strategies to overcome obstacles is essential
This is a full time position. Send your resume and cover letter to Denise Kelley at email@example.com. Applications without a well-written, thoughtful cover letter stating your passion and qualification for serving our population will not be considered. Preference may be given to eligible candidates who also have lived experience as a relative foster care parent. The Foster & Adoptive Care Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
What it is Like to Work Here
- We have nationally-recognized programs with superior outcomes
- Our program, development, and management staff are highly integrated
- Design, communications, outcomes, and IT staff are readily available for support
- However, there is no direct administrative staff at the agency
- The board and executive director are highly engaged in fundraising
- The development team shares responsibility for grants, reporting, special events, and other duties
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Statement
The Foster and Adoptive Care Coalition has a strong and steadfast commitment to ensuring that diversity and inclusion are integrated into the policies, procedures and practices used to carry out our mission. This commitment extends throughout the Coalition workforce, board of directors, clients, volunteers, and other stakeholders.
At the Coalition, diversity is a broad concept that encompasses all the differences that employees bring to work. Diversity, therefore, includes the traditional focus around race and gender, but also includes diversity of thought, ideas, backgrounds, and experiences. Inclusion, one of the Coalition’s core values, is the leveraging and engagement of every employee’s unique strengths and talents so that each individual can contribute to his or her full potential. Diversity coupled with inclusion is a long-term business strategy that will help fuel the innovative outcomes and continual improvement necessary for our future success.
EQUITY – Equity is about ensuring fairness and respect. It means employees feel supported, valued, trusted and able to achieve their personal best, and it means that all stakeholders are treated equally. Equity encompasses legal obligations and requirements for non-discrimination, civil rights, reasonable accommodations and equal employment opportunity.
DIVERSITY – At the Coalition, diversity is a broad concept that encompasses all the differences that employees bring to work. Diversity, therefore, includes the traditional focus around race and gender, but also includes diversity of thought, ideas, backgrounds and experiences.
INCLUSION – Inclusion, one of the Coalition’s core values, is the leveraging and engagement of every employee’s unique strengths and talents so that each individual can contribute to his or her full potential.
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION – Diversity coupled with inclusion is a long-term business strategy that will help fuel the innovative outcomes and continual improvement necessary for future success.
Foster a diverse and inclusive workplace culture that is free from discrimination and embraces diverse strategies with integrity and fairness for all.
A diverse and inclusive agency that understands and adapts our services to the unique and ever-changing needs of foster care and adoptive community.